Deciding what to wear during a photo shoot can be challenging and overwhelming but please rest assured I’m here to make this process a breeze.
Here’s a general guide for styling tips and tricks to help you pick out the perfect wardrobe for you and your family during a photo session.
- I heart colors: I know lot of people feel very self conscious and nervous about choosing a colorful outfit and I totally understand why. There’s a fine line between tasteful and tacky. The trick is to pick ONE bright colored piece, it could be anything like a red skirt, cobalt blue dress, yellow scarf, and keep the rest of the outfit pretty neutral (white, blush, beige, nude, brown, grey, black). You could also use bright accessories and shoes to add a pop of color to your outfit. Bright lipstick and nails look great in photos as well.
- Bring on the textures: You can’t go wrong with denim. Treat jeans as neutrals: denim jackets and pencil skirts in particular. Denim pretty much goes with every style which makes it very versatile to work with. As a bonus you can dress it up or down to your liking. Also jeans are always a hit with guys who are mostly clueless about what to wear during a photo session:). Another great way to add interesting texture to your wardrobe is leather – belts, jackets, boots. If you’re going for edgy look nothing compares to leather. Add luxury and drama to the outfit by wearing velvet, metallics, lace, silk and fur. There are so many gorgeous textures to choose from, the possibilites are endless. Keep in mind that you want to look classy not tacky so be careful not to overdo it. I always say when in doubt use textures in moderation, remember less is more when mixing textures and patterns together.
- Pretty Patterns: I love love love patterns in the photos when done tastefully and in moderation. Floral dresses and skirts look especially beautiful and dreamy. Think Polka dots, stripes, plaid, animal prints, they can all look amazing if done right. So don’t be afraid of patterns they not only add interest but also can really make you stand out in the photo.
- Accessorize Accessorize Accessorize: Bring on the colorful scarves, belts, hats, sunglasses. If your wardrobe is plain and neutral statement jewelry (necklaces, earrings, bracelets) can really dress up your look. Ties and bow ties can transform guys from meh to dapper. Last but not least colorful shoes are always a good way to add color and personality to any outfit (converse, vans, classic pumps, flats, sandals).
- Get moving: I love the movement in the outdoor photos, which can be easily done by dancing, jumping and running wearing flowy or loose dresses, shirts, skirts and scarves.
Last but not least please remember that I’m here to help. Send me a quick shots of several outfits that you are considering to wear during your photo session and I’ll be glad to help you to make a final decision. Also if you really have hard time deciding on what to wear and can’t seem to find anything you like in your closet, I’ll be more than happy to go shopping with you and assist you with finding the right clothes. finally no matter what kind of outfit you decide to wear don’t forget to be yourself and have fun!